Student & Alumni Services
The CBC provides free consultations to individuals and work teams on any kind of communication project at any stage of its development. Students interested in improving their performance on course assignments come for help on researching and organizing material, writing, revising, editing, rehearsing, or simply getting started on a project. Others come for help with application essays or personal statements. Work teams come for guidance in preparing collaborative presentations and reports. Alumni come for assistance with business plans, job application cover letters, training projects and proposals.
Most experienced writers will typically ask a second reader for feedback on their work. Whatever your current level of writing ability, these are some of the things we can help you with:
- Writing for academic and non-academic purposes
- Organizing and rehearsing oral presentations
- Working on team projects
- Using business formats
- Citing references
- Learning to proofread and edit your own work
- Brainstorming ideas
- Making your writing "flow"
- Conquering procrastination and writer's block
- Developing PowerPoint and visual aids
CBC consultants are like personal trainers. Our job is to work with you to improve your own writing and presentation skills and your ability to evaluate the skills of others. But we do not do the work for you. So you should not expect us to:
- Write for you
- Proofread or edit for you
- Guarantee you a better grade
- Grade papers for you
What To Bring to Your Consultation
Your consultation will be more productive if you bring to the session any items that will clarify the purpose of your writing or presentation, such as:
- Any drafts you have written or an outline of your presentation
- A copy of any instructions such as an assignment sheet from your instructor, submission guidelines for a journal, etc.
- Pertinent textbooks, handouts, or course packets
Make An Appointment
To make an appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, and please tell us about the project you're working on and what times are best for you to meet.
You can also give us a call at 803.777.5904.
We're located in Room 150 next to the computer lab.
Find us on Facebook